Engineering Week 2020 at GCU
DateMonday, Feb. 10, 2020
Friday, Feb. 21, 2020
Webinar Series: 5:30 pm (MST) Monday, Feb. 10 - Friday, Feb. 14, 2020 Design Competition, Monday, Feb. 17 - Feb. 21, 2020
- This event has passed.
Grand Canyon University is committed to inspiring the next generation of engineers and encouraging students to explore engineering as a career. This year in honor of International Engineering Week, GCU is hosting both a webinar series and design competition to give students the opportunity to engage with engineering concepts and further investigate the engineering field.
Gear Up For E-Week with the Engineering Webinar Series
To prepare for Engineering Week, GCU is hosting a webinar series to supply future engineers with the knowledge they need while considering a career in engineering. The series will take place the week of Feb. 10 – 14. Each webinar will feature a 30-minute interview with expert members of GCU’s engineering department and include a live Q&A session for attendees to ask the experts any and all of their questions.
Each webinar will begin at 5:30 pm and cover the following topics:
- Feb. 10: What questions should you be asking any engineering program?
- Feb. 11: What are engineering firms looking for?
- Feb. 12: How impactful are engineers to local and global communities?
- Feb. 13: What experience should you be looking to receive in an undergraduate engineering program?
- Feb. 14: What can you do to prepare for an engineering degree?
Visit the link below to register for a Pre E-Week Webinar.
Put your Engineering Skills to the Test in the Design Competition!
Students across the nation are invited to participate in an E-Week engineering design competition to win various prices of academic value. The competition will be separated into three levels for high school and community college classrooms and clubs to participate.
- Easy: Classrooms will compete to design a bridge made of Popsicle sticks and wood glue.
- Intermediate: Classrooms will compete to design a bridge made of toothpicks and wood glue.
- Difficult: Classrooms will compete to design a bridge made of spaghetti noodles and hot glue.
At each level, the bridge design that can hold the most weight wins. To qualify to win prizes:
- The final bridge design and build must be recorded in a time-lapse video. Classes and teams are encouraged to run multiple design tests, however only the final must be recorded.
- The final bridge design must be tested and recorded during E-Week with a local GCU university admission counselor present. If the GCU counselor is unavailable, the final test must be recorded in full. Videos will be posted on GCU’s social media under the hashtag #EWeekGCU2020. This will promote your class’ or team’s involvement in GCU E-Week.
Visit the link below to register: